Buildings & Grounds
Where do I start? Another congregational work day is in the books and with the outstanding help of many volunteers we accomplished more than I ever thought possible. The weather was great and Or Hadasher’s showed up ready to do whatever was needed to beautify our shul. Combined with the other activities taking place we created a true feeling of community. Many thanks to those who participated;
- Bernie Miller-Hymowitz
- Gerry Goldman
- Guy Homer
- Jay Cohen
- Jill Snell
- Jon Shapiro
- Len Zangwell
- Manny Ringel
- Mark Glicksman
- Nancy Boxer
- Rich Friefelder
- Sandy Saul
- Sharon Starr
- Shelly Homer
- Steve Leberstien
- Steve Starr
- Vivian Schirn
Our devoted and sweaty volunteers were able to get the following tasks completed.
- Bernie, Jill and Vivian weeded around the walkway sign and along the Play ‘n Learn border.
- Jill moved debris from the top of the art gallery stairs to the dumpster.
- Jill cleaned up the stairwell to the basement from the art gallery.
- Jeff, Gerry and Jill cleaned out the electrical room. This was recommended by the HVAC service tech to avoid fouling the air handler filters.
- Jon and Guy took down branches from a tree that were overhanging the vestibule and contributing to some water getting in during storms.
- Guy applied polyurethane to the exterior kitchen door.
- Shelly, Guy and Nancy touched up woodwork in the hall and around over half the sanctuary.
- Manny re-attached a loose railing in the main stairwell.
- Manny hung the new office sign.
- Manny repaired a broken window mechanism in classroom 5.
- Manny started the long job of pointing grout in the Play ‘n Learn wall.
- Manny pulled ceiling tiles in the Rabbi’s office and discovered that the reason the ceiling tiles don’t lay flat is that the old ceiling above the tiles is water damaged from years of overflowing gutters.
- Mark took down a butterfly bush near the Play ‘n Learn wall.
- Mark and Len took down the tall grass around the front sign.
- Nancy dealt with weeds by the road sign.
- Nancy and Len moved the trimming pile back into the woods.
- Sharon and Steve S. applied traction strips to all of the stairs in the main stairwell to improve safety and visibility.
- Sharon installed new room numbers on the second floor.
- Sandy and Steve L. identified circuits in a large part of the first floor.
- Rich moved the emergency light in the sanctuary to make room for art quilts.
- Rich and I identified existing lights that can probably be used for the art quilts.
- Rich replaced bulbs and ballasts in several fixtures around the sanctuary.
- Jay went through old records on the third floor. We will hopefully be able to dispose of some of these once he’s had time to discuss them with others.
- I took down vines and 2 trees from the border next to the paved lot.
This was the last congregational work day for 2013. The next one is scheduled for 3/23/14.
THANK YOU EVERYBODY!