Responding to the Violence in Israel and Gaza*
Links to Resources & Information supplied by Or Hadash
- To follow what is happening in Israel: Jewish Telegraph Agency
- Anyone across the world can now send pictures and letters to Israeli soldiers! Draw a picture and/or write a message on a full-size paper. Please included your name, age, and where you're from. Take a clear picture of your work and send it to the following email address to print and distribute: email@example.com. Courtesy of InKredible Kids Podcast.
- Find non-traditional prayers for peace in Israel from Ritualwell
- The Jewish Education Center of Cleveland has a website specifically designed to support teachers and parents when they have to help children understand crises like violence in Israel.
- Israel Resources, jkidphilly - Under the column title "Learn" you will find links to numerous articles and blogs about talking with children about Israel.
- How To Talk with Children about the War in Israel, NEWCaje
- Talking to your Children about Israel in a Time of Crisis, Jewish Education Project
- How to talk to your children about violence in Israel, Jewish Education Project
- Diverse Narratives, iCenter, an organization committed to transforming the professional field of Israel Education
- Videos to Help Parents and Kids Talk About Scary Situations, PJ Library
- How to Talk to Children About the Conflict in Israel from the Union for Reform Judaism
- Helping Children to Process Acts of Terrorism from the Union for Reform Judaism
- Talking to Children About War from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Grieving in Uncertain Times from the Wendt Center for Loss and Healing
- For teens to process recent events, we offer you this guide for reflection through poetry, Moving Traditions
- 6 Tips for Supporting Jewish Students in the Classroom
- How to Have Conversations about the Hamas Attacks on Israel
- 10 ways to have conscientious conversations on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Sifriyat Pijama, the Israeli version of PJ Library, created a new landing page on their website for parents and educators providing video and audio content, age-appropriate conversation starters and craft projects for the home and classroom dedicated to emotional and social support for children.
The articles below may help people cope with stress:
- Managing Anxiety in Times of National or International Tension
- Staying Safe, Alert and Steady in a Dangerous Situation
- Grounding Techniques to Help Control Anxiety
- Secondary Trauma: When You're Affected by Another Person's Traumatic Experience
- Being Supportive to Someone Who Has Experienced Trauma
- Tips for Parents on Media Coverage of Violent Events
How to Help
AFMDA - American Friends of Magen David Adom (Israel’s “Red Cross”)
FIDF - Friends of the IDF
JFGPPSWI - Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia’s Philly Stands with Israel Fund
Chasdei Naomi - an emergency collection and distribution operation for donations and shipments to IDF soldiers and residents in the southern region
WUPJ - World Union for Progressive Judaism Emergency Appeal, Reconstructing Judaism is a member movement of the WUPJ
NIF - New Israel Fund’s Emergency Safety Net
Dror Israel - Dror Israel Emergency Response
NCJW – National Council of Jewish Women’s Israel Granting Program Emergency Appeal
HIAS - HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety, and opportunity.
The Kibbutz Movement - Your donation will be instrumental in facilitating immediate needs and mental health support for all Kibbutzim that were hit.
Sha'ar HaNegev - The Sha’ar HaNegev Regional Council was one of the hardest-hit municipalities in Hamas’ attack on Israel.
Israel-2024 - They accelerate mental health services for Israelis touched by the 2023 acts of terror.
Hostages and Missing Families Forum - They work towards bringing the abducted and the missing back home.
Beeri - Direct aide to rebuilding Kibbutz Beeri
AID Coalition - Known as Brothers and Sisters in Arms (Hebrew: Achim Laneshek), they now have created Israel’s largest depot of donated goods, and are making countless trips, distributing supplies and in many cases extracting civilians.
Israel bonds - Purchase bonds online or contact Ari Sirner at 267-443-2007
Leket Israel - The National Food Bank of Israel needs donations and volunteers to go to Israel and harvest the crops - all travel/lodging paid plus a $250 weekly stipend.
StandWithUs - Supporting Israel And Fighting Antisemitism around the world.
*This list is being added to weekly.